20070603

Illegal Immigrant Issue - Steny Hoyer

First off, I am going to say that on the Illegal Immigrant Issue, I am extremely torn. I have attempted to float my own ideas on this issue in the past and, no surprise (few people read my blog) my ideas failed to catch wind.

However let me state that SOMETHING needs to be done to deal with this issue. Perhaps I am not the one who needs to lead on this issue. But SOMEONE needs to grab the ball and run with it.

My understanding is that the Senate has passed legislation on the issue. George Dubyah Bush has even spoken up on the issue. However, it seems like the House of Representatives is going to let the issue wither and die.

My new idea? Well it seems like Nancy Pelosi, the Speaker of the House, is incapable of providing action on this issue. Well if the Speaker of the House can not provide the leadership, then someone else needs to provide the leadership that is lacking. Who will I point to? Steny Hoyer, the Majority Leader of the House. Moderate Steny leads (I won't attempt to say "controls", even saying "leads" is a stretch, perhaps "influences" is a better word) the Blue Dog Democrats. Blue Dog Democrats can affect the outcome of proposed legislation and ensure that SOMETHING is done.

If Steny Hoyer takes on this divisive issue and produces SOMETHING that might be a step forward from the House, he might prove that it is HE instead of SHE that would best serve as the next Speaker.

What we are faced with is a "Speaker" that refuses to go against the majority in the majority party controlling the House while we might have a "Majority Leader" who might be willing to make deals with members of the minority party in order to get legislation passed. Does this scream that these two parties (Nancy and Steny) should swap seats of power?

We have a problem. The problem begs for a solution. SOMETHING must be done. NOTHING that is done is going to satisfy everyone. Who can lead, actually lead, when leadership is called for? Evidently Nancy Pelosi is scared to step to the plate because she fears she will strike out. Well then, who will step up to the plate? I think the home run can be hit by someone with "Blue Dog Democrat" emblazoned on his jersey. If Nancy Pelosi can not lead, then let us put in the pinch hitter. Let's send Steny Hoyer to the plate!

1 Comments:

Blogger Little David said...

One correction to my initial piece, I was mistaken in my assertion that the Senate had already passed legislation on the illegal immigration issue.

6/04/2007 08:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home