20080425

What's Wrong with McCain

What's wrong with McCain. After posting my last piece, which was so critical of the person (Barack Obama) whom I assume is going to end up being the Democratic nominee for the office of President, I think it is only fair that I give equal time to criticizing the Republican nominee, John McCain.

(See here) a Washington Post piece by Jonathan Weisman which reports that John McCain seems to have become a recent convert to George Dubyah Bush's fiscally irresponsible economic policies.

I shared hopes with former Sen. Lincoln D. Chafee (Republican - R.I.) that McCain would return to a being centrist, moderate, supporter of fiscal responsibility. But to quote Chafee:
I was frankly surprised that he's kept it up after securing the nomination. I thought he'd move to the center, and I haven't seen it.
The attraction of John McCain for my vote is based upon his record as a Senator, that of being the maverick. While his present "borrow and spend" fiscal proposals might appeal to the conservative Republican Party base, they will make it that much harder for me to vote for him come November.

Right out of the gate, I lean towards John McCain in a match up between Barack Obama and him. However that does not mean I am motivated to support John McCain come hell or high water. If John McCain insists on grabbing the mantel and leading the charge in defending everything I disliked about Republican leadership over the last decade, Barack Obama might yet end up with my vote.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

I respect your opinion (and your service, thank you), so maybe you can explain something to me.

There are many people who do not like either candiate. I'm voting for McCain but he is far from ideal to me.

But what I'm reading is that many people do not like Obama's extreme leftist policies vs. what amounts to a personality flaw in John McCain.

How can one vote for Obama and essentially hope for the best?

Both parties have their flaws and what really scares me is seeing the hands of all three branches of the government in the hands of very liberal people. I'm not comfortable with a democrat legislative branch ran by Pelosi and Reid, an executive branch headed by Obama, and let's face it, what will become a democrat judicial branch if Obama is elected (there are a few spots coming up on the supreme court).

As I stated, I don't agree with a lot of things McCain stands for but Obama has such extreme policies on many things, I could never vote for him and would probably vote for McCain just based on having a good check and balance system in place while we spend the next four years finding some new "stars" and trying to fix the system.

I am a big fan of Sarah Palin, not just because she's a conservative like myself, but because I do want to see new blood in Washington. I do want to see someone who's ready to get rid of the old way of doing things and she's done that in her home state. I've been following her since she became gov. of Alaska and I do feel like we are not seeing the real Palin right now because both the media and McCain are creating an image of her that is not 100% what she is.

Just my two cents, for what it's worth - which is not much at all!

10/25/2008 04:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home