20060312

Where All the Founding Fathers Christians?

Where all the Founding Fathers of America Christians? If you listen to Christian Radio stations they will lead you to believe this is so.

But is this so? How about Thomas Jefferson? I wish to share a passage that was penned by Thomas Jefferson himself that I found at Andrew Sullivan's blog, The Daily Dish.
"My views of the Christian religion are the result of a life of inquiry and
reflection, and very different from the anti-Christian system imputed to me
by those who know nothing of my opinions. To the corruptions of
Christianity, I am, indeed, opposed; but not to the genuine precepts of
Jesus himself. I am a Christian in the only sense in which he wanted anyone
to be: sincerely attached to his doctrines, in preference to all others;
ascribing to himself every human excellence; and believing he never claimed
any other," - Thomas Jefferson, in correspondence with Benjamin Rush.
Seems as if Thomas Jefferson was a Christian, he was not like those Christians who describe themselves as evangelical. From the above quote I think one might safely call into question whether or not Thomas Jefferson believed Jesus was God.

Perhaps this is why so many of our forefathers (and it clearly must have been a majority) insisted upon "freedom of religion" and did not state it so that this freedom was restricted to being "freedom of Christianity"?

3 Comments:

Blogger Little David said...

Can someone tell me how to fix the irritating effect when I hit the "quote" icon within my postings?

Specifically I am talking about when I hit the quote icon, it does indent what I am quoting. However the wrap around leaves the lines disjointed.

Is there a fix to this problem that I am unaware of?

3/12/2006 01:58:00 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

Did you cut and paste?

There may have been a problem with the original text insofar that there were linefeeds (which have been translated across) rather than simple word wrap.

Regards.

3/12/2006 11:24:00 PM  
Blogger Little David said...

Michael,

In light of your suggestion, I tried retyping the quote I wanted to make in its entirety on my most recent post. No improvement. It does not seem that cutting and pasting is the culprit.

3/13/2006 12:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home